Launched in late August 2015, the Massanutten Regional Solar Co-op (MRSC) is a Round II of Solarize Harrisonburg. Besides again covering residents of the City of Harrisonburg and of Rockingham County, this co-op also includes Page and Shenandoah County homes and businesses.
See the press release issued on August 26, 2015, about the formation of MRSC here.
Once again the Climate Action Alliance of the Valley has partnered with VA SUN to form a group for bulk purchase of solar equipment and installation which has proven to offer significant cost and time savings for participants. Groups have access to the experience of the many solar co-ops that have formed in Virginia and realize discounted prices due to regional volume.
Installer selection announcement on November 17: “On behalf of our community partners Joy Loving and Dennis Atwood and Climate Action Alliance of the Valley, it’s been a busy couple of weeks here and we’re happy to announce the decision of the Massanutten Regional Solar Co-op Selection Committee! The group received very competitive bids, so the 16 volunteers who made up the Committee had a difficult decision. In the end, the group selected Independent Solar Solutions to be the installer for the co-op.” – Aaron Sutch, VA SUN Program Director
Informational meetings were held throughout the fall to explain the co-op process and answer questions:
- Thursday, September 3, 2015, 6PM @ Massanutten Regional Library, 174 S. Main St., Harrisonburg
- Thursday, September 10, 2015, 6PM @ Shenandoah Public Library, 514 Stoney Creek Blvd., Edinburg
- Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 6PM @ Plains District Community Center, 233 McCauley Dr., Timberville
- Thursday, October 15, 2015, 6PM @ Bridgewater Community Center, 201 Green St., Bridgewater
- Thursday, October 22, 2015, 6PM @ Community Center, 20593 Blue and Gold Dr., Elkton
- Wednesday, October 28, 2015, 6PM @ Strasburg Town Hall, Town Council Meeting Room, 174 East King St., Strasburg
- Thursday, October 29, 2015, 6PM @ Trackside Theater, 32-B E. Main St., Luray
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 6PM @ Rockingham County Fire and Rescue Meeting Room, Rockingham County Administration Center, 20 E. Gay St., Harrisonburg
Find out more about going solar with a co-op on VA SUN’s Massanutten Regional Solar Co-op webpage here.
You’ll also find the sign up form here to get your roof accessed (free!) to see if your home or business is a good fit for photovoltaic solar electricity production.
If you’ve ever wanted to go solar and live in Harrisonburg or Rockingham, Page or Shenandoah Counties, now is your chance!
Anyone able to support our outreach and publicity efforts, please get in touch with Joy Loving at jal_1998 [at] yahoo.com.
To contact VASUN, email: solarteam[at]vasun.org.
See us featured through various news outlets here.
Reasons to go solar here!
During the fall semester of 2016, JMU School of Media Arts and Design students created this film, The Edge of the Horizon, showing “… the efforts of Harrisonburg community members doing their part to address climate change by investing in solar energy.” It premiered at DocFest 2016 on December 15, 2016, at Court Square Theater.